In the spirit of editing quotes earlier this week, Shane Ross collated the most common lies told to and by editors.
TOP TEN LIES EDITORS TELL PRODUCERS
10. It’s just a preview glitch.
9. It’s out of the safe area, you’ll never see that on the air.
8. It won’t really look like that.
7. I’ll fill out the paperwork tomorrow.
6. Why no, I don’t mind working on Saturday.
5. Oh, don’t go by that monitor.
4. It works better as a cut.
3. That glitch is on the source tape.
2. I’ll have all your changes done by the end of the day.
1. No, I agree. It’s much better that way.
TOP TEN LIES PRODUCERS TELL THEIR EDITORS
10. It’s pretty simple. It should only take an hour.
9. Budget? Don’t worry about it.
8. Feel free to be creative with this.
7. I only need a couple dubs.
6. The network will love it. They won’t make any changes.
5. I’m positive we’ve got that shot on another tape.
4. I’ve never had this problem anywhere else I have edited.
3. Could I see it just one more time?
2. I thought you’d be able to just paint it out.
1. How hard could it be?
TOP TEN LIES EDITORS TELL OTHER EDITORS (when they pick up the second half of a session)
10. It’ll only take about an hour to render.
9. I’ve pre-built all of the chyron.
8. It should only go a couple of more hours.
7. I’ll be at home. Call me if you have any questions.
6. The producer has been really organized so far.
5. All of the decks are working perfectly.
4. The list has been working great.
3. I’ve had no problems with this Avid.
2. Don’t worry, the credit roll is short.
1. I’ve already done the hardest parts.
TOP FIVE LIES EDITORS TELL THEIR ASSISTANT EDITORS
5. Kick me off if you need the station.
4. You don’t have to log everything.
3. We’ll finish early today.
2. I organized the files really well already.
1. An hour of footage a day, tops.
#1 LIE EDITORS TELL THEIR SIGNIFICANT OTHERS
1. “I’ll be home soon.”